Monday, December 20, 2010

My "Be Jolly by Golly Blogfest" Post(est) with the Most(est)!!


Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, and Merriest of ALL Merry Christmases to each and every one of you!! 
Christmas, to me, is THE most magical of holidays in the year.  It brings families together, it brings joy to many, it frees the hearts and pocketbooks of people and promotes charity and well wishes to all.  I wish a piece of its magic to touch everyone, everywhere and in all walks of life.  Who can't use a little magic now and then?  :)

For me, Christmas started with a story:



or two:


It's never quite the same for me with out a little of this:


And when it comes to snow balls...


Recipe:  INGREDIENTS 1 cup butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup chopped walnuts (I use pecans, which I put in the blender to chop pretty fine),  1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
 
DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remaining confectioners' sugar. I also like to roll mine in the sugar a second time.

...I'd rather eat them.

And as my hodge-podge little-tree-that-could looks like this:



I'm happy to rely on other people's holiday decor:


On Christmas morning, I'm hoping that these are filled:


and that I get to eat some of this...

Recipe!!  INGREDIENTS:  1 bag shredded hashbrowns, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 16oz carton sour cream, half stick of butter, 1 small onion (diced), bag of shredded cheddar, salt & pepper to taste  (if you like it a little soupier, also mix in small can of evaporated milk)
DIRECTIONS:  lightly grease 13x9 inch pan, thaw shredded hashbrown in microwave, melt butter and mix with hashbrowns, mix in soup and sourcream, diced onion and 1-2 cups shredded cheddar.  Mix well, put in pan.  Top with more shredded cheddar.  Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

...with my ham! 

I'll be happy to spend the day with my family and just relax and be jolly, by golly!  It will be a great few days!  And I wish the same for ALL of you. :)  Merry Christmas ~ from Donea Lee

(P.S.  you can read more about my holiday traditions "here" and don't forget to also check out yesterday's GNO post!  AND don't forget to check out other Be Jolly By Golly Blogfest posts!!  You can find a list of all participants "here"!)

39 comments:

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

What a fun post! I copied your recipe to try this week.
Be Jolly!
MBeth

Emily White said...

Merry Christmas, Donea! I love your little Christmas tree. :)

vic caswell said...

mmmmm.... that potato stuff looks delicious!

Christine Danek said...

Love the recipes. I love those snowball cookies. Your tree is so sweet. Have a wonderful holiday!

Unknown said...

That savoury looks so good, I can smell it from here ;) It may-well end up as my Christmas morning breakfast!
Your tree is very pretty.
I hope you have a very Happy Christmas.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Merry Christmas! I'm going to have to try you cookie recipe.

Colene Murphy said...

Your tree is adorable!! I LOVE those lit up trees. Always beautiful to see. Great recipes too! Thanks Donea! Merry Christmas!

Ellie Garratt said...

What a great post! I love how you've made a story out of all the elements.

Have a happy Christmas!

Be Jolly By Golly

Roxy said...

What a wonderful time of year! I love your pictures, and thanks for the recipes. Merry Christmas to you.

Summer Ross said...

I love your stockings! your decorations are great even if some are other peoples, I like looking at other peoples too! merry Christmas!

Sondrae Bennett said...

Wow, so many lights! I love it! I was a bit disappointed that my neighborhood didn't have more lights this year but then again, neither did I, so I guess I can't blame others. I love seeing people go all out! Have a great Christmas!

Carol Riggs said...

Those hash browns sound AMAZING, yum! And I always love those snowball cookies. Guess I'm gonna have to cave in and make me some. They are just SO Christmasy. Love your decorations, too! Merry Christmas!

Candyland said...

You're making me SO hungry! I have to make this dish with our ham. Have a great holiday!

Abby Minard said...

Such a cute tree! I love those lights- I don't think I'd have the patience to string up all those lights. They're beautiful though! Merry Christmas Donea!

Chris Phillips said...

Those lights are spectacular. Merry Jesus' B-day.

Laura S. said...

Your tree is super cute! Have a very merry Christmas!!!

Tara said...

I was going to look for a good hashbrown casserole recipe today - thanks! This looks great.

Happy Holidays.

RaShelle Workman said...

Donea - I'm making those cookies today - or soon. LOL Yummy. And, those lights are amazing. I love going with my family to look at lights as well.

Unknown said...

Yum, Fun, and Fabulous! I'm impressed with your adorable little tree! I love it!!! However I also love the trees all light up, is that googled or people you actually know? If you know them I must make a trip to see what real christmas lights look like. 3 years in Houston and I'm still not impressed.

Bess Weatherby said...

Such a cute tree! And those snowballs look amazing! Merry Christmas!

~ Bess

Michelle Merrill said...

I love the way you set up your post! Christmas does start with a story or two and the other stuff is so great to keep the spirit going! Have a Merry Christmas!

Ann said...

You do snowballs too! A fellow snowball lover. Nice to meet you.
I think your tree is lovely and the stockings are wonderful..Have a very happy Christmas!

Talei said...

Love the snowballs and your stockings! I really need some of those! ;) Merry Christmas!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

There is no such thing as too many christmas lights ;)

Wishing you a very merry Christmas,
Lyn
W.I.P. It: A Writer's Journey

Avalon Cat Cartoons said...

You're very lucky to have all those shining trees in front of your house. Merry Christmas from Vanessa and Avalon

Shannon said...

Hi Donea,

Stopping by for the blogfest...

Your tree looks great! And I love your stockings - so darling.

Happy Holidays!

-Shannon

DL Hammons said...

I love your little "hodge podge" tree!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)

N. R. Williams said...

The pictures are awesome and I can see those hashbrowns decorating my kitchen very soon.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Kelley said...

Your stockings are so adorable so is your tree! And yes snow is much needed around this time of year :) Happy Holidays!

Ava Z. said...

I can't wait to try these recipes! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Your tree is cute! The recipes sound yummy!

Donea Lee said...

Thank you so much, everyone, for stopping by and sharing in my holiday post. I had fun visiting your blogs today, as well (hopefully I got to everyone!!) - saw some fabulous trees and have WAY too many recipes to try out now! Which reminds me - I forgot to share my favorite drink - so here it is: Stephen's Bavarian hot chocolate with minced up Andes mints mixed in - yum, yum, yum! ALSO - meant to post this earlier and hopefully it's not too late - but there is supposed to be a lunar eclipse early, early Tuesday morning around 3:17am ET. I'll post a pic if I can get one... Happiest Holidays to you all!

Jennie Bailey said...

I love your little tree that could! That picture of the green lit up tree is pretty amazing as well. I hope you get to eat lots of that hash brown casserole thing! Have a Merry Christmas!!

Lisa Potts said...

That casserole looks SO good! I'm always looking for new Christmas morning recipes. Thanks for sharing. Happy holidays!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Your tree is so warm and charming. Cozy for the holidays is the best.

Happy holidays to you and your family.

Michael

Unknown said...

I had to stop by again to continue my jealous streak of your view outside. Love the lights... simply can't get enough.

Jemi Fraser said...

Yummy! Those snowballs & hash browns look delicious. I love your hodgepodge tree. :)

Melissa said...

Your food looks great and your decorations are stellar!

Thank you so much for participating in our blog fest!

Merry Christmas!

Tracy said...

Whoa, is that your neighborhood with all those outside lights? It looks gorgeous, but holy crap that has to cause a lot of brown outs with the energy usage.

Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas, Donea!