Sunday, September 26, 2010

Impatience is the Fun Killer

Ok - so I drove an hour and a half to the Sundance resort on Friday to check out the Full Moon Lift Ride, the last of the season.  I had my twelve-going-on-twenty-five year old with me...husband's out of town, so this would be a fun little mother/daughter outing, right?  It was a beautiful night, perfect weather, clear sky and a fricking A** load of people!!!!

I swear, Sundance must have been the only date destination in Utah County on Sept. 24th!!  Here I am thinking (and I don't even know why) that I'd found this off-the-beaten-path little adventure to go on and no big deal.  Well, it's a big deal, people.  The place was packed, jumping, hot, hot, hot, and all that.

We had to wait to get in the parking lot to start.  We were directed to the "upper parking lot".  A few hundred twists and turns up the mountain road, past a mish-mash of people walking down the road to where the fun actually was, and I just couldn't do it.  For one...I'm not a fan of hiking.  Downhill's ok, but then to get back from where you started you have to go...UP hill.  Ummm...no.  There was a bus taking people back and forth, which would have been cool.  Except that the bus was the size of a mini-van and the group of people waiting to get on the bus was the size of a (wow - nothing coming to mind here so "insert metaphor" and read on).

I don't like to wait.  And I'm really good at talking myself out of things.  And then justifying it later.  For example...they were selling tickets from 9pm to 11pm only and by the time I'd walked my big butt down that hill ("walk" is being generous...I likely would have tripped on a pebble and rolled downhill) it would have been past 9:30pm and I was pretty convinced I would have been turned away at the ticket window.

So...we left.  Our big adventure that night was walking around Winco.  Neither of us had been in one in Utah.  I bought some Spinach dip.  Awesome....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well it sounds like it was still an experience regardless whether or not you ever bought a ticket. As for the ending, I'd say leaving with spinach dip isn't so bad!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following it! That was really sweet about it!